[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 9 19:13:05 CDT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I wonder if I have a bad disk locking up the bus on the 3ware.  I power
> down, eject all twelve 300GB disks, boot.  This time, I don't see any
> 3Ware BIOS come up at all.
---snip---

> I reboot.  Same result.
>
> I power down, physically unplug the 3Ware card, and reboot.  Same
> result.
---snip---

That sounds like your card's on the way out.  For what it's worth, FreeBSD
7 Just Worked out with my 9650SE.

> This is an SMP box (two 3.2GHz Xeons with hyperthreading); is there
> something special I need to do at bootloader time to get a kernel aware
> of all four "logical processors"?

FreeBSD has HT turned off by default on processors that are vulnerable to
the HT cache timing attack.  You can enable them by setting the following
sysctl in /etc/sysctl.conf:

         machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken