[geeks] In which 3Ware can bite me

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:15:39 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 04:51:04PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> you'd probably want 2 cards anyway depending on how you set up your
>>> redundancy.

>>> Are these 133MHz, 64 bits? That can translate into 1GB/s with an 8
>>> port LSI card. Put 2 and mirror card A drives to card B.
>>>
>>> That's what I have. I only paid $41 total for both LSI 8 port PCI-X
>>> sas cards including shipping and 2 cables that go from 1 sas wide to 4
>>> sata. They were brand new pulls. New in box they can be found for
>>> about $80 each with shipping, perhaps a little less. These work on
>>> sparc and x86 solaris 10.
>>
>> I'd be interested in a model number for that LSI SAS controller (PCI-X, 8
>> port, supported under Solaris) - that could come in handy, and I think
>> outhers might be interested too.
>
> The internal one is the LSISAS3080X.  The external one is the
> LSISAS3800X.  There is also a 4 internal 4 external port card out there,
> the LSISAS3442X.

Further on this, anything that uses the SAS1064 or SAS1068 chipsets
should work on x86 and sparc. On x86 there are also marvel88sx  and
si3124 (man marvel88sx, man si3124) that is SATA specific. No SATA
support at all under sparc, only SAS (but, yes, you can use SATA disks
on SAS controllers).

I have the 3080X.