[geeks] In which 3Ware can bite me

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Mar 9 15:50:02 CDT 2009

Francois Dion wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>> I suppose another alternative is to throw away the 9500 and stuff in
>> several smaller Solaris10-supported SATA JBOD cards.
>
> you'd probably want 2 cards anyway depending on how you set up your
> redundancy.
>
>> The machine has
>> two PCI-X slots (one of which currently holds the 9500) and two
>> available PCI32 slots.
>
> Are these 133MHz, 64 bits? That can translate into 1GB/s with an 8
> port LSI card. Put 2 and mirror card A drives to card B.
>
> That's what I have. I only paid $41 total for both LSI 8 port PCI-X
> sas cards including shipping and 2 cables that go from 1 sas wide to 4
> sata. They were brand new pulls. New in box they can be found for
> about $80 each with shipping, perhaps a little less. These work on
> sparc and x86 solaris 10.

Hmmmmm ......    you can put SAS disks on a SATA controller, but not
vice versa, right?  I can never remember which way round it is.

I'm not seeing anything below $80 each, and that's for 4-port cards, of
which I'd need three, and I only have two PCI-X slots to play with.  I'm
not seeing any 8-port cards more than about a dollar under $220 each.

I'll be trying the FreeBSD route for now, I think.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.