[geeks] In which 3Ware can bite me

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Mar 9 13:45:24 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Blow it out your ass, 3Ware.

And forgot to ask ... can anyone here with first-hand experience offer
useful advice on what OSen have:
(a) out-of-the-box 9500 RAID support, since I'm clearly not getting any
from 3Ware;
(b) software RAID1 support for mirrored boot;
and
(c) a decently functional, decently configurable, decently fast, and
generally not-brain-damaged nfsd?

I'd hoped to use this box to learn both Solaris 10 and ZFS.  It seems
clear now that neither of those is happening, but I may as well at least
get some use out of the box.

(3Ware, you bastards, you could at least have told me eight months ago
that you'd EOL'd my controller instead of just stringing me along.  Bad
vendor!  No future business for you!)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.