[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:05:58 CDT 2009

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> I disagree about a $200 PC besting a free Ultra 60, unless you mean
>> unimportant things like how many FLOPs it can do.  No amount of power
>> savings can equal the cost to my soul.  Oh, and having Solaris JUST
>> WORK has to be something.  I see a lot of complaints about NIC and
>> SATA problems with PC using Solaris users.

OpenSolaris 2008.11 does 'Just work' on a $200 Atom system (ask mine, it
seems happy enough), and for a few dollars that jankey fan can be
substituted for a nice, smooth quiet one.

With a bit of playing, Solaris 10 worked just fine too, albeit with no
sound or onboard LAN. If I really flt inclined I could have fitted a PCI
Gigabit NIC. In the event a 3c905 worked well enough.

I never would pretend that a minimalist PC like that will ever hold a
candle to the sort of quality hardware Sun turn out (or turned out at
least), but it is a remarkably good, very quiet and fast Solaris
workstation. Like Nate says, if you are willing to read the Hardware
Support lists on BigAdmin, and work out what works and what doesn't,
then you *can* produce a truly decent x86/64 Solaris workstation, or if
you pay the right price you can just Buy one, from Sun HP, Dell or IBM
(jury is still out on the Mac Pro).

--

Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog