[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Mar 9 10:56:33 CDT 2009

> FF3 is way faster than FF2 under solaris. Opera is even faster. All of
> them are more stable on sparc than x86 too, for some reason.

Hmm.  Haven't noticed any stability issues with Firefox 3 and x86 (Windows
or Linux) or PPC (Mac).  I'm fairly anal about keeping all my plugins up
to date and running a very lean number of Firefox Add-Ons on all
platforms.

The only time I've had issues with Firefox are when I try to do crazy
things, like run the Windows version of Firefox under WINE in Linux so
that I can try to use ABC's video player to watch a TV show using their
Windows Firefox plugin (called Move, I believe).  Then I get to watch
things like total screen color palette corruption, garbage video in the
browser window, or just the entire X session crashing out.  (Thanks, ABC!)

- Nate