[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Mar 9 10:43:12 CDT 2009

> That and an inability to play flash video anymore (it used to work just
> fine, but more and more flash videos stutter through getting 1 or fewer
> frames per second out, I find this sad since similar size MOVs play just
> fine on the machine).

Well .mov is just a container, not a codec, and Flash is an even more
generic 'container' if you will... a lot of Flash stuff is now actually
H.264, which requires some pretty serious CPU power to decode.  I have
found that dual PPC G4 7448 CPUs (1MB on-die L2 cache per CPU) running at
1.6Ghz are sufficient with Flash 10 to handle most media on the web these
days.  Not sure I'd want to try on a lesser PPC though.

- Nate