[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 9 06:29:28 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:42:02PM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> I think this has more to do with different encoding than with the speed
> of FireFox. I recently puchased (for next to nothing) a 667mHz 15" Powerbook
> and it also plays MP4 avi files fine using VLC or QT.
> It does not play flash videos with any useable speed, and switching to
> safari 4 with its much faster Java engine did not help.

Yes, FF3 being sluggish and flash video no longer working well are two
different issues, I'm sure.

Still, Youtube used to work well, even if Hulu never did.

> It's not network speed, if you start the playback and pause it, then wait
> for the cache to fill, it still won't work.
> It's a shame as with a 15" screen it makes a nice tabletop video player,
> and 99% of my TV watching these days is streaming flash videos.

I probably will watch more streaming flash video when I finally get a
new computer.  I don't know when that will be though.  I have the money
for one, I'm just gripped with indecision.