[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 9 06:58:18 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:28:11AM +0000, Michael-John Turner wrote:

>What is the exact problem you experience? I've had some issues with GConf
>and NFS locking in the past, but don't recall having issues running GNOME
>on a remote X display (although I haven't done it for some time).

It's strictly keyboard translation. Using it out of the box, as it were,
I get total garbage anywhere I type, except at the login box.

The fix suggested in one post was to use do an xmodmap and use that map
in my .xsession file. It gave me the letters, but the shift and control
keys did not work. :-(

Installing KDE and running the same Ubuntu maintainance programs under
KDE work fine. It's a bandaid, not a fix as the difference between KDE
and gnome on a remote display is considerable. It's also a very slow
machine (1ghZ AMD doron), so that KDE takes a lot of extra CPU cycles and
RAM, neither of which I have to spare.

It fails with both an XDMCP session started via GDM on both Macos 10.4
on a G4 and 10.5 on an Intel. It also fails using VNC on both and a Windows
XP computer.

Trying it now with Cygwin X windows, it also does not work. Typing an
a gives me nothing, and some of the letters give me different ones.

Geoff.