[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 9 00:50:01 CDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I disagree about a $200 PC besting a free Ultra 60, unless you mean
> unimportant things like how many FLOPs it can do.  No amount of power
> savings can equal the cost to my soul.

My soul is pretty cheap, then, since moving from a huge pile of SPARC
equipment to a two-socket Xeon box has paid for the hardware three times
over, purely in terms of power and cooling costs.  It also chews through
whatever I throw at it faster by a factor of 16 or so.  I consider it a
fair trade.

Perhaps computing might be more about unit work per unit time/power,
rather than a spiritual experience.  I'm sure, however, the fine folks in
Palo Alto appreciate your religious devotion.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken