[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

James Fogg james at jdfogg.com
Sat Mar 7 21:51:52 CST 2009

> What is a good Sparc-powered workstation?
>
> I would like suggestions on which one/s are more usable and dependable.
> ATA
> or SCSI is acceptable.  It has to fit under my desk (at home) and be
> relatively quiet so most servers don't qualify.
>
> What is a good graphics card?
>
> Anybody have one?  Is eBay still a good place to get one?

Assuming we are talking about an older/used system -

32bit Sun 4m architecture? The SparcStation 5 is a good candidate, and the
SparkStation 20 can be dual CPU with better graphics. I don't remember all
the graphics options, but there were some very fast options for both. Even
when built up they are a little slow for things like web surfing.

For Sun 4u (UltraSparc) I'd go with either an Ultra 60 (dual CPU possible)
or an Ultra 5/10 (single CPU). The 60 is basically a server platform in a
workstation design with excellent graphics options. Wikipedia will tell
you what your graphics options are. The U5/10 are desktop PC like Ultras,
but use a specific type of memory unique to them and they are IDE disk
based (a little slower). The Ultra 80 is an Ultra 60 on steroids,
marvelous machine, but harder to find.

For any of these systems (other than the U5/10) many of your graphics
options will use the 13W3 type connector, so your monitor choices are
limited unless you use a VGA adapter ($20). Not all VGA monitors will work
with a Sun adapted graphics board unless they can sync on the green
signal. I think most modern LCD's will sync on green.

--
James -
Certified autodidactic polymath and proud of it!