[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Mar 7 14:46:35 CST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 3:25 PM, hike wrote:

> What is a good Sparc-powered workstation?
>
> I would like suggestions on which one/s are more usable and
> dependable.  ATA
> or SCSI is acceptable.  It has to fit under my desk (at home) and be
> relatively quiet so most servers don't qualify.

The quietest is the Ultra5, but they aren't terribly good, even after
a SCSI conversion.

I would venture to suggest that the Ultra 30 is good and quiet.  The
ultra 80s are fairy noisy, but a lot of PCs are just as bad.  A
SB1000 or newer (1500, 2000, 2500) would be a heck of  a lot faster,
but I don't know anything about noise levels.  They are meant to be
workstations though.

> What is a good graphics card?
>
> Anybody have one?  Is eBay still a good place to get one?

Ebay is a fair place, or you can ask here, since they