[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Mar 7 11:36:47 CST 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I have two AMD systems, one with socket 939 and one with socket 940.

> I would like to know what are the fastest CPU options for socket 939
> and 940.
>
> Also, does anyone know if the 200 series Opterons will work on single
> socket 940 motherboards, or do they require a dual-socket 940
> motherboard?  It is easier to find 285 CPUs than it is to find 185
> CPUs, and except for 2-way support, they are identical.
>
> Does anyone know if the AMD64 X2 CPUs are faster than the Opterons?  I
> know the clocks run higher, but does that really help much over and
> Opteron?

> Currently the 939 machine has an AMD 64 3000 single-core CPU.
>
> The 940 machine has a dual-core Opteron 170 CPU.

In socket 940, it looks like your best choice is an Opteron 285
Dual-Core, with two cores at 2.6GHz, 1GHz bus, and 2MB L2 cache.

For Socket 939, best shot looks like the Opteron 180, dual-core 2.4GHz,
1GHz bus, 2MB L2 cache.

The best Athlon64 prospect looks to be 4800+ Socket 939, which seems to
carry the same specs as the Opteron 180.  The socket 940 Athlon64 X2s
all have lower clock speeds AND less cache than the Opteron 285.

This is a question previously of some interest to me, too, as I also
have a Socket 939 machine that carries an Athlon64 3000+.  Having had a
motherboard problem on it, though (one BIOS failed irretrievably), if I
were to start throwing money into it again (money we don't have right
now), I'd likely be looking for a new Socket AM2+ board.  I suspect the
biggest improvement I could make to it performance-wise would be a newer
and faster GPU though (it has an nVidia 6800XT right now).

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.