[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 7 02:55:16 CST 2009

I have two AMD systems, one with socket 939 and one with socket 940.

For various reasons, I need to upgrade them without changing anything
except for memory and CPU.  Basically this is their last upgrade.

Both are fast enough for the work they do so it does not have to
happen, it would just be nice and probably upgrading will get steadily
more impossible as even used parts for them start running out.

I would like to know what are the fastest CPU options for socket 939
and 940.

Also, does anyone know if the 200 series Opterons will work on single
socket 940 motherboards, or do they require a dual-socket 940
motherboard?  It is easier to find 285 CPUs than it is to find 185
CPUs, and except for 2-way support, they are identical.

Does anyone know if the AMD64 X2 CPUs are faster than the Opterons?  I
know the clocks run higher, but does that really help much over and
Opteron?

Pointers to places with remaining socket appreciated of course, as
well as any ideas for finding good upgrades.

Currently the 939 machine has an AMD 64 3000 single-core CPU.

The 940 machine has a dual-core Opteron 170 CPU.

Thanks.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com