[geeks] Impressive...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:31:54 CST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 7:43 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those WD green-power hard drives look just the ticket, but the
> spindle speed is quoted at 5400rpm, so are they slower? It'd give me
> even more need for inline cache if they are but it'd also make the
> box quieter :)
>
> I'll only need 1TB max to start with, working up to to maybe 2TB or
> 2.5TB later.

The WD "green" drives are low power (hence cooler) than 7200 RPM
drives, and for normal, general-purpose use (not OLTP, RDBMS, or other
demanding application) are fine, and in a budget box, may be faster
than your network connection or your SATA controller. If you RAID x0
the drives, they should meet all but the most demanding requirements.

> In all honesty the SSD cache thing was just an idea. I may not
> actually do it. I like the idea of having a separate 2.5" for the OS
> though.

Having a dedicated drive for OS is A Good Thing, IMHO.

Lionel