[geeks] in which Windows shoots itself in the foot (again)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 5 13:55:11 CST 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 02:08:48PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Now, the two interfaces are on different subnets.  The wired interface
>> is 10.24.32.51; the wireless interface is 10.24.33.51.  Both are
>> assigned via DHCP.  Windows creates sane default routes, etc, etc ... it
>> creates routes to its own interfaces via loopback, which is a bit weird,
>> but doesn't actually seem to harm anything ... and then it creates
>> static routes to the 10.24.32.0 and 10.24.33.0 subnets pointing straight
>> back at the respective interfaces, which cause EVERYTHING to break.
>> Delete those two routes, and networking all Just Works.  Packets
>> correctly go in and out via the correct interfaces and get where they're
>> supposed to go, no problem.  Leave'em in place, and the machine is
>> catatonic.
>
> Actually it sounds right to me. There should be a static route to the
> subnet of the interface on that interface.
>
> what you should have in your routing table is
>
> 10.24.32.51 -> ethernet
> 10.24.32.50/24 -> ethernet
>
> 10.24.33.51 -> wifi
> 10.24.33.0/24 ->wifi
>
> ONLY one default route (0.0.0.0) if it goes to a third interface
> for example, 10.24.31.1, you need ONE and ONLY ONE route to it.
>

> As far as I am concerned Windows WiFi support did not work properly until
> XP service pack 2. Before that it was hit or miss as to the quality of
> the driver and their supporting programs.
>
> Only one of them should provide (via dhcp) a default route, and a
> nameserver address/default domain.

Well, there's "what should happen", and there's "what works".  I end up
with a static route to each interface via loopback, a static route to
each subnet via the interface, and a default route via each interface.
If I delete either default route, that interface ceases to work.  The
*only* thing that I've found makes the networking work as expected is to
delete the subnet routes.  Counter-intuitive, I know; theoretically
wrong, I know; but we're talking Windows, and it's what works.  At the
moment I'll take "working" over "correct".

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.