[geeks] in which Windows shoots itself in the foot (again)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 5 13:08:48 CST 2009

OK ...  we were recently given a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop.  It has a
built-in wired Ethernet interface (a 3C920) and an 11b PCMCIA wireless
interface (an Orinoco WaveLAN Silver).  I had hell's own game getting
networking to work correctly on it ... until I thought to look at the
routing tables.

Now, the two interfaces are on different subnets.  The wired interface
is 10.24.32.51; the wireless interface is 10.24.33.51.  Both are
assigned via DHCP.  Windows creates sane default routes, etc, etc ... it
creates routes to its own interfaces via loopback, which is a bit weird,
but doesn't actually seem to harm anything ... and then it creates
static routes to the 10.24.32.0 and 10.24.33.0 subnets pointing straight
back at the respective interfaces, which cause EVERYTHING to break.
Delete those two routes, and networking all Just Works.  Packets
correctly go in and out via the correct interfaces and get where they're
supposed to go, no problem.  Leave'em in place, and the machine is
catatonic.

Does anyone know a Secret Win2K Admin Trick to either automatically
delete those two routes as soon as they're created, or better yet, stop
Windows from ever creating them in the first place?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.