[geeks] Impressive...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:55:19 CST 2009

On 5 Mar 2009, at 17:29, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Sridhar Ayengar
> <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is what I get for not drinking my coffee before emailing -
>>> five 1.5TB
>>> drives would be 7.5TB, not 4.5TB.  So data density is actually
>>> higher with
>>> 3.5" drives, but my point about RAID flexibility stands with 2.5"
>>> drives.
>>
>> But I would also bet that twelve 2.5" drives would use more power
>> than five
>> 3.5" drives.
>
> Good lord, have we been reduced to worrying about power
> consumption?! ;^)

Power consumption and living comfort are important factors for me. I
figure 4 3.5" drives is not going to be a huge problem if done right,
after all my Mac Pro runs 4 and it's pretty quite. One major thing
that I found with 3.5" drives is they are a lot quieter if you use
them in cradles floated on rubber bushes - you don't get that nasty
Beats interference if you have more than 1 7200rpm drive :)

Power consumption is something I'd like to keep reasonable. Maybe
under 200W at idle if at all possible?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: