[geeks] Impressive...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:29:03 CST 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> nate at portents.com wrote:
>>>
>>> You can fit five 3.5" drives in three 5.25" bays, or 4.5TB.
>>
>> This is what I get for not drinking my coffee before emailing - five 1.5TB
>> drives would be 7.5TB, not 4.5TB.  So data density is actually higher with
>> 3.5" drives, but my point about RAID flexibility stands with 2.5" drives.
>
> But I would also bet that twelve 2.5" drives would use more power than five
> 3.5" drives.

Good lord, have we been reduced to worrying about power consumption?! ;^)

If that's the case, I can't justfy anything but the most recent Sun
kit - everything else uses too much power... Actually, truth be told,
aside from two 1U Sun servers (a t105 and an X1) and a SB1000 I'm
about to put back on line, all my Sun kit is offline for the
forseeable future, not so much for the power usage, but because
virtualization has caused me to play on multi-core, multi-Gighertz
rather than older Sun kit.

That SB1000 is a real heat-pump, and with the recent temps here in
Central NJ, that's not so bad...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com