[geeks] Windows on a mainframe? Why???

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:40:37 CST 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>    Here's a link to an article on a company that plans to put Windows on
>    a IBM series Z mainframe and allow users to RDP to it, just like a
>    terminal server or remote desktop session:
>    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/030409-microsoft-windows-mainfra
>    me.html
>    Really?
>    Oh, and as an aside, the article points out that since this really
>    creates an x86 runtime environment, you can run Linux on it as well (I
>    guess they don't know that you could already do that:
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_zSeries).

They sound like an ultimately misguided bunch of cretins to me ;)

Not only did they totally miss the Series Z port of Linux but they
ultimately missed the point of Linux itself, that it's extremely
*portable* to no x86 architectures... ye lords.

If it's not people replacing good RISC hardware with x86, then it's
people trying to emulate x86 hardware for no good reason... save us all...

--

Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog