[geeks] Impressive...

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:39:13 CST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:58 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
>>
>>> I can see why they make such good NAS arrays, it's just a pitty
>>> Intel
>>> only put 1 RAM slot on them, I'd dearly love 4GB of RAM to cache for
>>> ZFS. Maybe I could use a Flash setup and use Johnny Schwartz's great
>>> ideal of having Flash as your cache using all ZFS's clever
>>> algorithms
>>> to prevent it burning out :)
>>>
>>> See: http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/managing_a_bestseller
>>
>> Maybe one of those 4 or 8GB SSD's someone's taken out of a netbook
>> to upgrade?
>
> 32 Gig SATA SSDs are under $100, and sometimes 64 Gig drives are
> about $100-125. Both are 2.5" notebook size.

Yep, I know.  My point was you could probably get a 8GB SSD for ultra-
cheap as a test to see if it did the job.  Connect it up and tape it
inside the chassis.  I'm thinking about this for my own file server,
since it'll be running Solaris and ZFS.

I'm still debating cases.  I'm biases towards Antec (rolled edges
ftw), but I've seen good quality cases for less that have more drive
bays than the Antec 900.  I also am having trouble finding things
*without* blue lights.

=Nadine=