[geeks] OpenSolaris ready for Production?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:29:12 CST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course it does depend on what you mean by "production". I wouldn't
>> choose to run a bank on an OpenSolaris server, and I dare say Oracle
>> would immediately close support calls mentioning OpenSolaris.
>
> Yeh, like I'd use Oracle anyway ;) I'd rather boil my feet!

You cant run SRSS and a lot of other stuff under opensolaris, fyi.
Everyone at my house has a sunray (or more) so that was a no go for
me.

>> There's a few people wandering around who seem to think that OpenSolaris
>> is something new and completely different from Solaris.
>
> Ignorance is bliss, they say...

That goes both way... it is a very different beast than sol 10. libs
are not compatible, so be careful if you write code, it'll bite ya.
You cant use opensolaris on the desktop basically f you use solaris 10
in the server room, unless you dont mind having to redo scripts,
binaries etc all the time. It also has a useless UI with 2 menus, a
departure for any JDS 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, solaris 9+JDS, solaris 10,
Solaris Express etc user. Gnome is really going downhill fast.
Stability of both UI and programming interfaces (API, ABI etc) is
needed by businesses.

Personally, I tried to love opensolaris since day 1, but I've ditched
Opensolaris twice and back to SXDE and finally went back to solaris
10, since u6 (about to hit 100 days tomorrow). I'm (and work and home
users too) a much happier camper. U6 has the one last thing I needed
which is bootable zfs.