[geeks] Impressive...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:06:27 CST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 2:58 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net
> >
> wrote:
>>  It appears OpenSolaris supports the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet NIC
>> with
>>  no problems (as of the 2008.11 release/build)
>
> Yes, they do. I found that out yesterday :)
>
>>  If you google the MB model and OpenSolaris[0] there are many hits,
>>  mainly for low-end NAS units based on the MB, typically with a PCI
>>  four-port SATA controller and ZFS (Baby Thumper?)...
>
> Yeh, I swung it over to OpenSolaris in the end,as I'd finished playing
> wit hthe stuff I needed for $work. It runs OpenSolaris 2008.11
> superbly, and More Stuff Works(tm).
>
> Now I just need 3 1TB drives, a 2-port SATA card and 2 more removable
> SATA bays... oh and a 500W PSU :)
>
> I can see why they make such good NAS arrays, it's just a pitty Intel
> only put 1 RAM slot on them, I'd dearly love 4GB of RAM to cache for
> ZFS. Maybe I could use a Flash setup and use Johnny Schwartz's great
> ideal of having Flash as your cache using all ZFS's clever algorithms
> to prevent it burning out :)
>
> See: http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/managing_a_bestseller

There's a nice Chenbro 4 bay hot-swap SATA chassis that costs about
$200 w/power supply that also has room for a notebook optical drive
and a 2.5" notebook drive. If I didn't already have my 12-bay NAS
chassis I'd consider that - 4x 1.5TB drives equals 3TB RAID 10 in a
nice, small chassis.

If you google D945gclf2 and chenbro it should pop right up.

Lionel