[geeks] Impressive...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 17:16:31 CST 2009

On Feb 28, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I jus wanted to let you folks know I installed Solaris 10 x86 on my
> Little Falls 2 machine today as an experiment. While I had a few
> initial problems (had to set Xorg to VESA, and install a 3c905 LAN
> card in the PCI slot) I've got it up and running. It's very
> impressive. Because it's a dual core with HT it's running with 4
> threads and as everyone knows Solaris loves lots of threads to play
> with :)
>
> It's nice to use and the video is acceptable in JDS3 at 1600x1200
> for non-3D desktop use. I'd like to get the GMA950 graphics to work
> but they don't seem to want to, despite m installing the recent Xorg
> patch that is supposed to support them.

Have you looked for an approriate NIC driver for Solaris? I thought
there was one, and as you mentioned, the video "should" work as well.

At around $80-90 for the MB/CPU combo, plus chassis and HD, it makes a
very nice low-end box.

I just built up two Shuttle barebones this last week, one the K45 $99
box and the other is a $200 box with 2x eSATA ports, HDMI, and a nice
CPU cooler, those are both pretty nice (I put Windows 7 beta on the
$200 box and Ubuntu 8.10 on the K45).

The $200 chassis was bought at CompUSA and is a shuttle sg33g5, it
holds 2x SATA HDs and a 5.25" optical drive. I had to go to the chip
makers website for the Marvell driver for the on-board NIC...

Lionel