[geeks] Getting into a headless eMac

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:27:59 CDT 2009

Hello all,

I've come across a G4-700 MHz eMac that I'd like to get running, but
it appears to have no video. It powers up, I get the chord through the
speakers, but the CRT never lights up.

It has a wireless card inside, and I found it listed as a DHCP client
on my router. So even though the lights are off, someone is home...

I can ping it, but I can't ssh in or access http off the box, any
ideas how I could get inside the system?

I am assuming if I had an appropriate adapter I could mirror the
desktop and use it that way (while looking for another eMac to swap
CRTs with), will the second monitor mirror the desktop by default if I
get the adapter? (the eMac has a video port on the side, along with
USB, Firewire, audio, etc)

My goal is to find out what is in the cabinet before I go much
further, and as I am on vaction I have no hex tools, so physical
inspection is out of the question - I know it shipped with 128 Meg
RAM, but not sure what's in there now.

Any help is appreciated... a 700 MHz eMac isn't great, but it could be
a bit of fun, and the acquisition cost was $0.
--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com