[geeks] jvm/bytecode spec?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jun 23 03:17:13 CDT 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, der Mouse wrote:

>> As far as web browser being a poor portal for vast quantities of text,
>> I've found it to be far better than most anything else outside of
>> print.
>
> Must be idiosyncracies of our reading styles.  I still prefer a tool,
> such as less, that's designed for reading text.  (When I prefer softcopy
> at all, that is.)

I guess I don't see what else one could use something like lynx for.

>> To Sun's credit, though, the HTML they export for offline reading
>> tends to be exceptionally sane.
>
> It's still HTML, though, and needs to have <something>the
> <somethingelse size=3.1415926>clutter</somethingelse><whoknows/>
> stripped</something> out of it in order to be usable.

Usable for what?  Viewing in less?

The markup in the offline tarball is almost entirely structural (and uses
<code> for code sections, as opposed to some brain-damaged explicit
formatting).  It doesn't have graphics all over the place, and the
fanciest it gets is using different typefaces and indentation for code
samples.

Apart from the hyperlinks, it's even tamer than what the printed copy
contains.

--
Jonathan Patschke < "There is great satisfaction in building good tools
Elgin, TX          > for other people to use."