[geeks] Photo Geotagging

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jun 23 01:12:29 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:28:27AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:41:21 +0300
>gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>
>> It's actually relevant to the GPS discussion because I have read
>> acticles about the lack of replacement GPS satellites for the ones
>> that are about to run out of fuel and "reenter".
>There is some redundancy coming up the sky:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

Assuming that it is operational in 2013 as claimed, and the GPS starts to
degrade in 2010, that leaves 3 years of people sitting in cars with no
clue of where to go or how to get there. :-)

Unless the EU suddenly becomes efficient, I expect it will be 2015 before
it's of any use and 2020 before it becomes really useable, if ever.

Geoff.