[geeks] Apache

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 17 10:37:46 CDT 2009

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> The problem is that SSL makes the crypto negotiation between browser and
> server, before sending the Host: header that lets Apache figure out
> which virtual host you want.

Yeah, that's the problem exactly.

> Best bet is to run different SSL hosts on different ports; then put in a
> redirect on the http side that just redirects e.g.
>
> http://host1/secure redirects to https://host1:443
> http://host2/secure redirects to https://host2:453

That - doing a redirect actually on the server - is something that
hadn't occurred to me.  It's a simple and fairly elegant solution that I
should have thought of myself, but didn't.  And so long as the
firewall's properly set up to handle it, it should work from outside the
firewall.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.