[geeks] This damn question again...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Jun 11 20:23:19 CDT 2009

Mark Benson wrote:
> I kinda get the impression from folk here that maybe I took a wrong turn
> while picking the OS for our new server@$work. As I've said before my
> experience is limited and I'm determined to get this right.
>
> Currently, I'm looking at a IBM x3500 M2 / 4 core 55x0 Xeon / 8GB RAM /
> 3x 147GB SAS / LTO Tape
>
> Services required are:
>
> Rails
> MySQL
> Apache/PHP
> Samba
> Possibly mail
>
> Any further input regards OS? I do feel like a kid pestering you guys,
> but I don't want to screw this up.
>
> P.S. This is the first serious email I've written and sent from my new
> iPhone and I have to say it really craps on WinMo 6 from major altitude!

I would say OpenSolaris, however you may need more handholding to set up
all that stuff, since it is unlikely you already have experience with
every single item.

Thus I recommend CentOS (RHEL clone) or RHEL.  Lots of easy ways to set
things up, and you can google your way out of most issues you will come
across.

--
Patrick