[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 06:49:09 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:12:00 -0400
> hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > the root account on ubuntu can be enabled.
> > i googled this and found it years ago.
> > it is easy to do.
> Sure. This was first what I did when I rebooted the machine in "single
> user" mode. The point is: It is disabled by default. If you don't
> explicitely enable it beforehand, you are fsck(8)ed up if somthing
> fails.
> --
>

> tsch|_,
>       Jochen
>
> Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/<http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/%7Ejkunz/>

i turned the root account on while in multiuser mode.
if i want an actual "root" account, it's one of the first things that i do.
apparently, you should not be using ubuntu.
with all the linux distros, surely there is one that works for you.
redhat, and probably fedora, have built-in, turned-on root accounts;
maybe that would be more to your liking.

or bsd.
freebsd is still using a built-in, turned-on root account
so is solaris and opensolaris.

i have found that using any os has drawbacks.
i chose the os with the features i want and the drawbacks that don't drive
me crazy.
when i use my "personal" computer at home, i want an "end user" experience.
i find that ubuntu more than satisfies my criteria.
(also MacOSX; but that's another story).
i find that ubuntu is the easiest to deal with--especially since i change
computers at least twice a year.