[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 10 16:32:03 CDT 2009

> Why do good (or, in the case of Linux, passably decent) things tend to go
> this route?

There seems to be an average upper-limit on the amount of sensory intake
and analysis that most people will actively engage in.  Stepping back and
looking at aggregate human behvior as a kind of meta-organism, it makes
sense I think (i.e. too many independently-minded individuals would errode
the ability of a larger cohesive group dynamic to form).  And if you look
at human history, most large groups of people follow that trend -
reactive, not proactive.

I do think there's a chance that with significant social and linguistic
evolution, the total behavior could be more anticipatory-adaptive.

- Nate