[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jun 10 14:38:57 CDT 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:40:07 +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> I tried a root-login on the local text console, but _all_ root logins
> are disabled. Ubuntu expects you to use sudo(8), but with no valid

Actually that's not such a bad idea. For the kind of user that Ubuntu
(and OSX) targets, disabling root (by default) and insisting on sudo is
_less_ likely to cause problems. After all some users are inclined to
do everything as root to prevent being asked for a password.

Fact is Ubuntu isn't really aimed at people like us.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
'I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my