[geeks] While I'm at it, another Ubunut grouse

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 10 14:16:44 CDT 2009

> My words. Linux evolved from a free Unix for Unix enthusiasts to a bad
> Windows surrogate for lusers. I turned away from Linux in disgust over 10
> years ago. I went to NetBSD, the most sane implementation of The Unix
> Paradigm (C) (R) (TM) I know.

Yes NetBSD is nice but I only use it for serious work, not mediacenter/web
browsing, which is what I use Ubuntu for.

> Ubuntu is maybe the worst. I had to fsck(8) the Ubuntu instalation of a
> workmate. He misconfigured NIS and thus disabled his local account.

Unless his filesystem was encrypted, you could have booted off a Linux CD
and gone into a recovery console (often included on Linux install CDs
these days), mounted the filesystem and undone the damage he did.  I'm not
sure an fsck was necessary.

> I tried a root-login on the local text console, but _all_ root logins
> are disabled.

OS X ships the same way out-of-the-box (until you manually enable the root
account).

> Ubuntu expects you to use sudo(8), but with no valid local
> user account there is no chance to get into the machine. I had to
> powercycle the machine hard and use the "init=/bin/bash" trick...
> Ubuntu suffers from major brain damage.

I wouldn't call it brain damage, I'd call it different than what other
systems do.  Different tools for different jobs, and I can understand your
preference, but I don't think it's a reason to entirely dismiss a
distribution.

- Nate