[geeks] AFP tips requested

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:30:19 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Phil Stracchino<alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> I have, as previously discussed, a Solaris 10 box which is our primary
> NAS box.  My wife just got given a "windtunnel" dual-G4 Power Mac, now
> running leopard (10.5.7 specifically).  Obviously, she'd like to be able
> to access the server.
>
> I seem to recall from prior discussions that getting nfs to work on an
> OSX client is ... challenging.  So, I've installed netatalk on the server.
>
> Anyone have experience in getting netatalk on Solaris 10 and OSX
> talking?  Do I need atalkd and the ddp protocol, or should AFP-over-TCP
> work with OSX?  Is netatalk the best tool for the job, or is another
> connection method easier?  (The server already shares the big share over
> both NFS and SMB/CIFS.)  Any known-working-configuration tips?  Anything
> else I need to know to get one means or another working?

I'm going to disagree with all these folks pimping SMB/CIFS. :-)

I compiled netatalk by hand (it's not in blastwave, which I'm using at
home).  You have to compile with SSL support, because Leopard won't
talk to unencrypted afpd.

If you are running OpenSolaris, mdns is already in there
(http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/SYSADV5/dnsref-28.html).  If you
are running Solaris 10 release, you can compile mdns from Apple's site
and use it for mdns/bonjour services.  I had to make a couple of minor
source code changes, but they were trivial and I found them by
googling.  (mdns is not 100% necessary, but "nice to have".)  I can
probably send you a patch and/or instructions if you can't track it
down.

I also have local accounts for both of us on the Solaris box. It "just
username/password.  I'm pretty sure you can make them available
without passwords as well, but since we are both running the Macs on
wireless, I chose not to.

If you need more help with the netatalk config files, drop me an
email.  This is the guide I followed for config configuring my shares:
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machin
e-volume/

(his instructions for building netatalk on *ubuntu are not complete, iirc)

NFS works fine as well with OS X, I just never got TimeMachine to work
with it, even though others have managed to do so.  TimeMachine works
flawlessly with netatalk (and, AFAIK, will not work at all with CIFS).
 A quick summary URL--there are more out there with more details:
http://www.mikeandzoya.com/blog/?p=141

I found netatalk to be much, much faster than SMB/CIFS (as in at least
an order of magnitude) and don't bother to run Samba anymore *at all*.
The only Windows box in the house is a VM under VBox, and it uses VBox
internal sharing to access the zfs file systems.

=Nadine=