[geeks] AFP tips requested

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jun 9 15:03:20 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 03:49:22PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>Anyone have experience in getting netatalk on Solaris 10 and OSX
>talking?  Do I need atalkd and the ddp protocol, or should AFP-over-TCP
>work with OSX?  Is netatalk the best tool for the job, or is another
>connection method easier?  (The server already shares the big share over
>both NFS and SMB/CIFS.)  Any known-working-configuration tips?  Anything
>else I need to know to get one means or another working?

I am accessing a Linux box, and I assume it uses AFP, but I had to recompile
netatalk with support for secure connections to get it to work.

NFS is well supported under Leopard, but it seems next to impossible get
it to work. :-(

SMB/CIFS works like a charm. If you need to access files that can be read
pre-OSX, then you need to use an AFP server, if you don't then SMB should be
fine.

Note that I use it for read only access to data files, not programs, nor do I
write on the SMB shares from OSX.

Geoff.