[geeks] AFP tips requested

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 9 14:49:22 CDT 2009

I have, as previously discussed, a Solaris 10 box which is our primary
NAS box.  My wife just got given a "windtunnel" dual-G4 Power Mac, now
running leopard (10.5.7 specifically).  Obviously, she'd like to be able
to access the server.

I seem to recall from prior discussions that getting nfs to work on an
OSX client is ... challenging.  So, I've installed netatalk on the server.

Anyone have experience in getting netatalk on Solaris 10 and OSX
talking?  Do I need atalkd and the ddp protocol, or should AFP-over-TCP
work with OSX?  Is netatalk the best tool for the job, or is another
connection method easier?  (The server already shares the big share over
both NFS and SMB/CIFS.)  Any known-working-configuration tips?  Anything
else I need to know to get one means or another working?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.