[geeks] Tonight show?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Jun 9 09:11:09 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> Is it just me, or is it that O'Brien just does not "have it". I never liked
> his old show, so I can't really say that the tonight show is the same thing
> or not.
> Only about half of the material was funny in concept and that was poorly
> executed and delivered.

He is funny when he is doing longer more involved concepts, such as his
"Dudez A Plenti" spoof on boy bands, his on-site where he visits Martha
Stewart at her home, or goes to truck driving school.

Interviews can be painful to watch, and he seems tense and even a little
bitter on his new show.

It is when he is able to act goofy that he has a sort of charming humor.
 With the perceived stakes being high, it seems that he is too
controlled, which of course makes him un-funny.

YMMV

--Patrick