[geeks] Tonight show?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:04:25 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> I don't get to see it right away, I see it delayed, for example, last
> night I watched the show aired last Thursday. It takes a few days to
> send it over, have it subtitled and then shown here. For some reason,
> although it is shot in 16:9, it becomes 4:3 here.
>
> So far, it's been terrible. Obviously, NBC did not want O'Brien to
> take over Leno's routines, they are being saved for the 10pm show
> next fall.
>
> Is it just me, or is it that O'Brien just does not "have it". I never
> liked his old show, so I can't really say that the tonight show is
> the same thing or not. Only about half of the material was funny in
> concept and that was poorly executed and delivered.
>
> I'm thinking of asking my local DBS company to start showing Leno
> re-runs.
>
> Any opinions?

I love Conan's show, and I loved his old show.  I couldn't *stand* Jay Leno.

Might be an age thing.  Much of Conan's audience trends younger than
Jay's, and, even though I'm younger than you, my tastes in comedy tend
to be more infantile and puerile than many others of my age anyway.

If Conan tried to pull of Jay's routines, it would be god-awful.  They
aren't the same person.

Peace...  Sridhar