[geeks] Photo Geotagging

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 8 21:29:54 CDT 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, velociraptor wrote:

> Found a discussion of this issue here with a few of links to
> alternatives that are designed for use with the Nikons.
>
> http://www.nikond1.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10334&forum=1

It looks more and more like the Nikon unit is probably the right one.
It's overpriced, but it has a connector for a remote shutter release that
the Solmeta lacks, and the di-GPS looks hard to obtain on short notice.

> Most of the GPS units I looked at for the PocketPC two summers ago were
> either bluetooth or USB.  With the latter, you're going to have to deal
> with annoying converters or hacking up your own cable to use it on the
> camera.

Right, and that looks to be the biggest downside.  The Nikon adapter cable
isn't too long, but once you add that plus the string of adapter cables
that most of the handheld units come with, you have some six meters of
cable wadded up or dangling all over the place.

> I doubt cameras have integrated bluetooth (yet).

No bluetooth, but the D300, D3, and D700 have an 802.11 module for remote
computer control.  If it weren't so hideously expensive, I'd get it just
so I could give it the hostname eye-of-ra.celestrion.net; the colors on
this camera are -glorious-.

> Sounds like fun.  I wish I could justify the price of a DSLR.

My employer sends me to Taiwan several times a year.  Last year, I cut my
discretionary spending to the point that I saved up for a decent DSLR
because it'd just be A Shame to be sent overseas at no cost to me[0] and
not have a way to send nice photographs to folks back home.

[0] Especially considering that one round-trip coach ticket from Austin to
     Taipei (with the sort of advance notice I get--usually two weeks or
     less) costs more than my D300 body and a Nikon 18-200 VR lens.
--
Jonathan Patschke < "There is great satisfaction in building good tools
Elgin, TX          > for other people to use."