[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jun 3 16:05:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:16:37 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> >> OSX is not Unix at the sysadmin layer, despite being UNIX any more
> >> than Windows or VMS is.
> > What about AIX and SMIT(ty)?
>
> I haven't adminned AIX enough to offer an informed opinion.  A
> relatively uninformed opinion based on hearing it discussed on mailing
> lists says that it mostly is,

AIX is very definitely a very odd Unix from an admin perspective;
probably the oddest amongst all the Unix variants that I've dealt with
(which would necessitate taking my socks off to count). Not bad mind
you; just very, very odd.

> in that SMIT, as alien as it is, is
> mostly an add-on rather than a replacement.  (If that impression is
> wrong, my conclusion very well may be just as wrong.)

Now, SMIT is definitely an admin's interface Done Right. The key
feature for me is the ability to find out what command SMIT would do if
you hit the "Run" key rather than the "Give me the command" key.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 Religeon is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you'd have