[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jun 3 14:52:39 CDT 2009

>> Darwin is not really a BSD; it's more like Mach with a Unix
>> emulation layer [...].  To a naove user, it feels like a Unix - to
>> approximately the same users who have trouble telling Red Hat from
>> AIX from 4.3BSD.
> The thing is, Leopard *IS* UNIX,

Perhaps.  You may note I was careful to write "Unix", not "UNIX".  (The
distinction as I'm using it: UNIX is trademarks and
political-compromise standards, while Unix is tradition and reality.)
You may also note that I was responding to a claim that it was a BSD,
not that it was a Unix.

OSX is not Unix at the sysadmin layer, despite being UNIX, any more
than Windows or VMS is.  (It _is_ Unix at at least a few other layers,
such as the naove-user layer.)  Things like what's available upon
booting single-user (to stay on the example I cited) are not addressed
by the likes of SUS and POSIX, even though they are part of the
fuzzy-edged blob in memespace I'm calling "Unix".

And I still stand by my stance that Darwin is not a BSD.  (It
incorporates some elements of BSD, but by that test, practically
anything even vaguely Unixy is a BSD these days.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org