[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 3 14:54:37 CDT 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, sammy ominsky wrote:

>> Darwin is not really a BSD; it's more like Mach with a Unix emulation
>> layer (probably more BSD than SysV Unix, admitted).  To a naove user,
>> it feels like a Unix - to approximately the same users who have trouble
>> telling Red Hat from AIX from 4.3BSD.
>
> The thing is, Leopard *IS* UNIX,

I'll agree that it's "UNIX(R)", since that's what the people who own that
trademark say.

However, it still doesn't feel like Unix to me after using it for 7 years.
It's a nice middle ground between the antiquated crap single-user desktop
OSes of the past (Windows, OS/2, Classic MacOS) and a real operating
system.  Just real enough for me to get Real Work done on it, just stupid
enough for me to not have to think too hard.

> It may not conform to your impression of what UNIX is supposed to be,
> and I understand how you feel, but it conforms to both SUSv3 and POSIX
> 1003.1 specifications for the C API, Shell Utilities, and Threads.  That
> makes it officially UNIX.

That would also makes Linux UNIX.  Thankfully, that's not the definition
that the UNIX(R) people use.

--
Jonathan Patschke < "There is great satisfaction in building good tools
Elgin, TX          > for other people to use."