[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jun 3 13:26:48 CDT 2009

>> For example, I recently tried to get my gf's iMac (running OSX
>> Tiger) into a state where the network was working and the disk was
>> still mounted read-only, [...].

> [...instructions to boot Darwin single-user...]
> This was found easily by STFW'ing for "tiger single user mode", which
> IMHO says that you should avoid trying to fix a computer unless you
> have a working one with an Internet connection handy.

Oh yes, (a) I did have another computer handy and (b) I did know about
that.  The problem with that was, when you boot Darwin single-user, it
has no networking, and it's..difficult..to get networking up without
remounting root read/write.

> Darwin is a distribution of BSD,

It is not.  BSD systems use monolithic kernels; Darwin is a microkernel
(Mach, I think) with a Unixy (and mostly BSDish) layer dropped on top.

Unless you're identifying the system with the userland, ignoring the
kernel, which strikes me as (a) nonstandard and (b) broken.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org