[geeks] q: good source for leather book bag?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jun 3 12:33:07 CDT 2009

>> Which BSD is that?
> Darwin.

Darwin is not really a BSD; it's more like Mach with a Unix emulation
layer (probably more BSD than SysV Unix, admitted).  To a naove user,
it feels like a Unix - to approximately the same users who have trouble
telling Red Hat from AIX from 4.3BSD.  If you start trying to use the
full power available; if you start writing code; if you're a sysadmin -
any of those, the deeper you scratch the surface the less it looks like
a Unix.  For example, I recently tried to get my gf's iMac (running OSX
Tiger) into a state where the network was working and the disk was
still mounted read-only, something that's a total no-brainer on every
Unix I've ever had occasion to play sysadmin to.  After struggling with
it for a few hours, I asked an email friend who works at Apple, who
says this is possible but how you do it varies widely from release to
release, and he couldn't remember the recipe for Tiger.  (I eventually
addressed the underlying desire another way.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org