[geeks] Murphy, instantiated

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 2 09:22:25 CDT 2009

Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:37:44AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Jonathan Groll wrote:
>> Two identical controllers, 12 disks.  I don't think it's a simple write
>> corruption issue, because the three failed disks didn't even come back
>> up on the bus after reboot.  They're dead as doornails.
>>
> So, the odds of all three disks failing on one controller are:
> 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
>
> or 1 in 4 that all three failed disks will belong to the same
> controller!
>
> At the very least, it is worthwhile decommisioning the 'bad'
> controller (wouldn't trust it), and trying the 'failed' disks in
> another box altogether...

If I take down that controller, I don't have enough channels to run all
the disks.  I'm going to test the disks elsewhere once I pull them, but
I don't hold out much hope for them.  I trust the controller more than I
trust the disks; the disks already had two strikes against them -
they're Maxtor disks, and they've already seen several years of use
before I got them.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.