[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 28 16:41:14 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 05:42:26PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2009, at 16:44 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>

>> We do not use USB to connect DVD players to TVs (or generic media
>> playing devices to generic video displays), which is what we were
>> discussing.  I think you have crossed this thread with Mark Benson's
>> request about Video Casting.
>
> Nate mentioned FW for more than just audio/video.  I was referring to that.

But he did mention it in the context of home theater use.

> The thread has expanded a bit.
>
> FW is a USB competitor.
>
> Also, we do use USB for audio/video, just not really high bandwidth because
> it cannot support it.
>
> You can even get USB video cards.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed by USB graphics cards, or appalled
by them.  In theory they could work well enough for almost everything
but HD video and video games, and would be a good way to cut costs on
small laptops.  With proper acceleration, the limited USB bandwidth need
not be a large problem.  Even SD scaled to HD video is feasible if the
dongle supports common video formats.