[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 8 14:19:14 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 03:06:37PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

>Hasn't BPL been all but abandoned as a serious replacement for fiber,
>even residential?

Mostly, but that was not Google's doing. The Obama administration
included money for in it in the stimulus package as a "rural
internetification" project.

It's also reapeared under another name in the UK.

>I think Verizon's FIOS is stomping all over anything else out there, in
>the regions it is available.

Yes, but no one wants to pay for FIOS outside of the populated areas.

Here, Israel Electric decided that they wanted part of the action and
ran fiber to (almost) every transformer in the country. They use it for
monitoring and control, and are waiting for the day they can offer
Internet access.

Of course we have a small country, and traditional BPL was outlawed due to
interference to existing HF radio services which we still use.

Geoff.