[geeks] iPhone alternatives

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:15:56 CST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> What do you guys think of iPhone alternatives these days?
>
> I have decided to start using a PDA again, and of course I looked at
> iPhone.
>
> However, I hate AT&T service, and I think the iPhone sucks as a
> phone.  I much prefer T-Mobile service over AT&T and Sprint, at
> least in my area.
>
> I thought about getting an iTouch, but Apple does annoying things
> like leave off features and charge more than the iPhone, plus it
> would mean carrying two devices.  Most important missing feature in
> iPhone is a GPS.  Seems a really silly omission.
>
> So, I'm looking at possible replacements for my Motorola KRZR to get
> better PDA features.
>
> Does anyone have any long-term experience with the G1 now?
>
> I also see a few others from T-Mobile like the Sidekick.
>
> One thing though: I would prefer to have generic WiFi support,
> rather than only T-Mobile's "HotSpot" Wi-Fi.

I'm not going to gush wildly...but...if you have T-Mobile and you're
not opposed to Windows Mobile out of principle, M$ is still running
the deal where you can get a Wing or Shadow for next to nothing if you
sign up for a new line (or re-up if you are out of contract) with data
services.  It used to be a 1yr deal, but now it requires 2yrs.

I got a Wing for work--it's not great (mostly due to the limitations
of Pocket Outlook), but it's serviceable--and would likely be more so
if I did the unlock that allows you to install a different ROM.  I
haven't had the gumption for the latter yet (work is so annoying I
generally just use the phone for on-call and calendar alerts), but the
info is out there in the xda developer's forum.

My total price out the door after rebate was $49.99--the Wing lists
for $499 with T-Mo (over-priced given it's age).  I added a line since
my contract doesn't run out on my main line until April.  If I am not
with $job at that point, I'll port my old number over to the new line
and let the new number drop, and probably get rid of my data service
and sell the phone.  I haven't lost anything in the deal, since $job
pays for the portion of the bill that the new line costs.

The real question--what are your "must have" pda features?  I fiddled
with a G1 at the store...I don't like those stupid "pearl" scrolling
things and it has one like the Blackberry's do.

=Nadine=