[geeks] iPhone alternatives

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:14:03 CST 2009

while at&t oversells their coverage, the iphone is very useful for me.
it am trying "new" things--purchased a macbook and a mobileme account, too.
i usually do bulk entries with my macbook and sync to mobileme and the
iphone.  i do "ad hoc" stuff on the iphone if i need to do so.  having the
same information in three places makes it easier for me to access the
information.
the three work together well even for me and have more functions than i can
use--i.e., room for growth.
i watch the connection mode and don't do any web-related stuff when it is in
E/edge mode.  this is not a problem for me since the email and ipod
functions were the main features that i wanted.  (the little apps turned out
to be a pleasant surprise.)
wifi or 3g works well.

i have fat fingers but have found that i can "type" rather accurately by
using the side of my finger.
the iphone is much better than the blackberry keyboard for me.

i find that the most important part of using a mac or a windows or a linux
or a solaris laptop (i only use laptops) or the iphone is the "mindshare".
if i am just looking, a new os is a pain but if i choose to use a particular
and accept the new ways and new tools to do things that i have no great
problems.  a learning curve but no regrets.  i did this with ubuntu and osx
10.5.  I also did this with the iphone.  the iphone works well for me.