[geeks] Good GPS data logger for photographic use

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Jan 29 12:52:24 CST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:11:34 -0500
Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I have a GPS, a Garmin 12XL, but it is pretty old now and
> doesn't have a very big log, and no way to download it.  It also
> eats batteries like no tomorrow.  It's very sensitive, but only
> useful as a navigator.
My etrex H runs about 16 hours on a set of AA batteries. It can record
10000 waypoints. That is enough to run over 100 km through the woods by
foot in high accuracy automatic log mode. You can also save up to 20
routes. Saving a tracklog to a route reduces the count of waypoints to
about 1/10 but you will loose the timestamps also.

> One thing I definitely need is a unit that gets good signal in trees
> and cities.
Look at the tech data of the units. Garmin explicitely states "high
sensitive receiver". In the etrex series you can see it in the name.
Models with "H" in the name have the newer high sensitive receiver, the
older without "H" don't get much in the woods.

Look for the chipset. The MTK / MTK2 or the SiRFstar-III chipsets are
good. But there are other good chipsets too.

I compared an older Garmin gecko and my new etrex H. The etrex H can
get its position even under lots of trees and leaves, in "urban
canyons" and even inside if near a window. The older gecko needed
really a clear sky. If there was a tree - no position. But keep in mind
that the position gets quite inaccurate if you don't get direct
signals. +- 100 m is possible in bad conditions.

> Ideally it would have a removable rechargeable like most good cameras.
There are rechargeable AA and AAA cells. AA or AAA cells have an
additional advantage: If you run out of charged rechargeable cells, you
can by a few non-rechargeable cells at the next gas station. If you
need funky special rechargeable cells you are lost. Standard AA or AAA
cells is a big plus.

> I'm currently thinking that maybe I should get one that can also do
> navigation, since my 12XL is 12 years old now, and no longer a very
> good unit compared to what's available.
I am lusting for a Garmin Oregon 300 or 400t. But they are a bit
expensive. An eTrex Vista HCx would be a good compromise. If you need
it for navigation by foot think about a unit with electronic compass.

Also check Magellan and Lowrance...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen